Apple has recently introduced a new feature for their users, now you can repair the devices from your favourite store at home by yourself! Cannot believe what you read? Read on to know all we know on the subject.
Apple devices are intricate; they have been made by professionals with years of experience to their name. It comes as a surprise that such an exclusive company can allow something as complex as repairing their specially made devices to be handled, or as the title suggests, be repaired by people outside of the Apple store franchise.
Apple’s Self Service Repair Guide
Though things can be a bit misleading as not a lot of information is available on the subject, we’re here to provide you with everything you need to know about the exciting service.
How did the Service come about?
US citizens recently started speaking up about their right to repair their own devices. Starting from early-2022, users can now purchase spare parts and repair guides to fix their phones that are in desperate need of repair. We say phones because the official statement made by Apple only mentions iPhone versions 12 and 13. They have, however, released a statement for self-service repair help for Macs with M1 chips to be available later on.
Restrictions and regulations to be followed under Apple’s Self Service Repair
- Only iPhone models 12 and 13 will be available for now. iPhone service modules for simple repairs like display, battery, and camera will be available initially.
- Repair Help for Mac devices that are powered by M1 chips will be available later.
- You can now take your iPhone for repair to a third-party store that is not registered under Apple. You will still be covered under the official Apple warranty. But it is not advised to undertake these tasks if you’re not professionally trained to repair your own device as you may cause additional damage to your device in the process of repair.
- People who are practitioners in the trade are free to join 5,000+ Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASPs) and 2,800 Independent Repair Providers.
- This will be effective from early-2022 but is not made legal as of yet.
- The new self-service store will be equipped with over 200 individual parts and intricate tools for most common repairs initially.
- It is speculated that if you accidentally end up messing up more than you can mend, you might be charged extra for damage repair.
- The prices of these spare parts haven’t been revealed yet but coming from a company like Apple, high prices are something the user must expect.
- The user manuals will contain the A-Z of product repair and maintenance. As third-party repair shops will be approved for repair, you can also take your parts for repair to these shops if you are unable to do them yourself.
- The used parts can be recycled and thus, sent back to Apple and the user may receive credit in turn.
If you keep all the restrictions and regulations in mind, it will most probably be a favourable turn of events for you. The regulations are few in number compared to the benefits you will be able to enjoy in return.
Now that we’ve discussed all there is to know about Apple Self Service Repair, here’s how you can contact Apple Repair and Repair Status Check. Apple appointment booking is easy to do and the easiest for all apple users for now. In case you were not familiar with the steps of Apple Repair and Apple Appointment Booking, this is how you do it.
How to book an Apple Repair Appointment and Repair Status Check?
Booking a repair appointment with Apple is very easy. If you’re not familiar with the know-how that concern booking an appointment with Apple, we’re here to help.
Steps for booking an Appointment with Apple experts:
- Visit the site at https://support.apple.com/en-in/repair
- You’ll find a lot of information on the website itself.
- Apple has their own network of Apple Authorized Service Providers that access your location and provide you with the nearest authorized location to get your faulty device repaired.
- Users in some areas are also given an option to schedule a technician to perform an iPhone screen repair at your home or office. Apple will fix you up with your technician in that case.
- At the end of the screen, as you scroll, you will notice an option titled “Start a repair request”. Click on that option to start the request for a device repair. After clicking, you will be provided with different options concerning your choice of device. To get any particular physical repair done, you will have to click on the “Repairs and Physical Damage” option. Apple will assist you in finding the nearest centre.
- Other than this, you can also contact Apple Support for any additional help or to just request a repair.
For Repair Status Check
Usually, when you request for repair at Apple, the experts provide you with a repair ID. This is instrumental in finding out the status of repair for your device. This ID can also be found within the confirmation email that you receive from Apple for service and repair.
- Visit the same site at https://support.apple.com/en-in/repair .
- Scroll to the end of the screen and click on “Track the status of an existing repair” to view the status of repair for your Apple device that you’ve previously requested repair for. From here, you will be redirected to the My Support screen.
- The official website is in itself very useful in providing instructions at this point on; just remember to keep your repair ID at hand.
- Contrarily, you can also directly sign into My Support with the same Apple ID that you used to start your support, service, or repair and check under the Recent Activity section to find your Case or Repair ID for support, service, or repairs.
- If you do not wish to go through all this hassle, you can also click on the link attached with your confirmation email containing the repair ID from Apple.