Your search ends here! This is the complete guide to Factory Reset your iPhone 13 properly. From backing up data to manually resetting, we cover every aspect. It also includes how you can remotely wipe data and reset your phone if you’ve lost it!
Make sure to follow these steps from beginning to end. Because it covers every essential step. The article is divided into segments to ensure that you can always reset your iPhone 13. With that, let’s begin right off the bat!
How To Factory Reset An iPhone 13/13 Pro/13 mini?
Here is a step-by-step guide to reset your iPhone 13 in 2022.
Step 1 – Backup Your Data
Factory resetting an iPhone 13 means that you will lose the entire data that is in your phone. It includes contacts, videos, and much more. Therefore, you’d have to back them up. Now, if you’re using cloud storage for backup and storage, you needn’t worry. It will safeguard most of your data and essential information.
However, there is still a lot for you, and you might want to save user settings, app data, and much more. For this purpose, there are three options available at your disposal. Make sure to always backup at least once before you initiate a factory reset.
Many people impulsively reset their iPhones and then regret the decision later. Take a breather and follow these available methods.
1. iTunes Option (For Windows PC Users)
This is the conventional method available for every iPhone 13 user. If you have a PC or laptop that you can use, all you need to do is install iTunes. iTunes is a complete suite that assists your system in connecting with the iPhone 13 to gain access. You can do many things like software reset, save data, import or export media, and much more.
Here are the steps to backup to iTunes:
- Connect your iPhone 13 to a PC or Laptop by using the lightning cable.
- Allow your PC’s iTunes to scan and read the iPhone 13.
- Next, find the iPhone 13 icon that is available at the top left corner.
- Click on ‘Summary’ and then find the ‘Back-Up Now’ Option.
- There would be an option for you to encrypt your data for additional security.
- You can choose whether you want that or not.
After initiating the backup, just wait for the time it shows and allow the backup to finish. Once done, you will have a complete backup in iTunes to later restore the new iPhone 13 data.
2. Use Finder for Backup (macOS Users)
If you have a MacBook or something similar, it becomes easier to backup. The finder option works for macOS 10.15 or later. If you have an older version of macOS, you’d have to rely on the iTunes version.
However, the process is more or less the same. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- First, connect both iPhones to your MacBook by using the lightning cable.
- Now, go to the Finder sidebar on the Mac device and find your iPhone there.
- In the Finder’s Window, click ‘General.’
- There you will find an option to back up all the data from your iPhone 13 to Mac. It is that long option. Click on it.
- Now, it will ask you if you want to encrypt.
- Carry ahead.
There is also an option for you to use macOS and iPhone 13 to backup data by using Wi-Fi syncing. But, for safety and to not lose any data, this is the best option available.
3. iCloud Option
This is the best option if you don’t want to use a PC or laptop or don’t own any other secondary device. The iCloud option will back up your data to the iCloud storage. Remember that it will have a storage limit according to your plan. So, if the data is too much, you’d have to rely on one of the above-given methods.
Either way, here are the steps:
- Find the Settings of your iPhone.
- Find your name and click on it.
- Next, find iCloud backup inside the ‘iCloud option.’
- Once you turn it on, it will automatically backup your phone.
- You can also manually initiate it, and it would be better if you use Wi-Fi.
- Click on ‘backup now’ to initiate the immediate backup.
This should get the job done.
Step 2 – Disable Security Functions – Activation Lock
Apple has done everything in its power to reduce iPhone thefts significantly. That’s one of the reasons why it is such a famous brand. There is an option known as ‘Activation Lock’ that works on an iPhone 13 with iCloud and Finds My Phone activated.
Activation Lock initiates when you reset the iPhone 13 without disabling iCloud and Find My Phone. As a result, you would have to write down the same Apple ID used to set up these functions the first time.
In simple words, a new person won’t be able to use their Apple ID on the iPhone 13 if you sell it to them without deactivating the activation lock feature. Only you’d be able to use your ID. Therefore, it is pivotal to disable the option. Here are steps for you to disable both of these features:
Disable Find My iPhone 13:
It’s relatively easy for you to disable the ‘Find My iPhone’ option conveniently:
- Go to Settings once again.
- Tap on your name and click on the ‘iCloud’
- Go to ‘Find My Phone’ and then find the toggle to turn off the Find My Phone
- It might ask you to provide an Apple ID and Password to deactivate it. Follow through with the credentials.
Disabling iCloud is the same as logging out of the ID from your iPhone 13. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- From Settings, click on your name.
- This will open your Apple ID.
- Now, scroll down to the bottom and click on sign out.
- This should help you prompt out and deactivate iCloud.
- This step might also require you to type a password before you can logout.
Step 3 – The Complete Factory Reset
There is a single option available to Factory Reset the iPhone 13 thoroughly. However, you can also reset the phone by using iTunes to connect with it. Alternatively, you have an option to erase data by using the Find My Phone option or adding a layer of security to erase your data if the wrong password is used. Here is a complete guide.
Official Method to Factory Reset Your iPhone 13:
This is the best method available that won’t cause any problem. You need to have access to the iPhone 13 physically. And it needs to be your iPhone 13 for you to reset it optimally. Follow these steps:
- Make sure to back up your data.
- Disable Find My iPhone by using the above-given guide.
- Disable iCloud (Log out from it)
- Then go to the settings once again.
- Find ‘General’ settings, and there you will have the Reset
- After going inside the option, you will see the ‘Erase All Contents and Settings’
- Now, once you click on it, there will be a warning of the data loss. You can continue.
- Sometimes, it can ask for the iPhone Password. Just comply.
Now, all you need to do is wait a couple of minutes for the iPhone to reset optimally.
Using iTunes or Finder to Reset:
If you don’t want to use the phone’s built-in settings to reset the phone to factory settings, you can use iTunes or Finder. Now, for Older MacBooks like Mojave and such, you’d need to use iTunes. For MacBook Catalina and other latest laptops, you’d have to use the Finder option. iTunes is also prominent for Windows PC and Laptops.
- Connect the iPhone to your computer by using the lightning cable.
- Next, allow the device to get trusted. You might have to provide the password.
- In the ‘General’ option, you will find the restore phone option. Click on it.
- Next, you might have to provide the password again. If not, click on the restore option.
- This will initiate the entire restore option.
The restore option won’t restore the data or lost files. It will only restore your iPhone to factory settings. Also, the option for Finder and iTunes is similar. Therefore, you can follow these steps for both of those platforms.
Using Find My iPhone To Erase Data:
This is the best option available to ‘remotely’ reset or erase data from your iPhone 13. Usually, people use it when they don’t have physical access to the iPhone. Therefore, it is used mainly when the device has been stolen.
Find My iPhone works with any other Apple product like another iPhone, Apple Smart Watch, iPad, or macOS. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Use the same Apple ID as the iPhone 13 you want to erase the data for.
- Next, sign-in on the ‘Find My iPhone’ on the new Apple device.
- Select the iPhone or any other device you wish to erase data from.
- Go to Actions and click on ‘Erase,’ and there will be a device name.
- You’d have to type Apple ID and password to confirm the procedure.
Using Security Measures to Erase Data:
This is a pretty straightforward method that doesn’t require a step-by-step guide. All you need to do is visit your security options where you set a password and activate biometrically. There will be an option to decide whether you want the device to lock or erase the data if the password entered is wrong.
You can choose to erase data or even click on erase now if that’s what you need. Either way, you can decide when the data will erase, how many wrong attempts it takes, and such. This is in case you can’t access Find My iPhone and have lost your phone.
Reasons to Reset An iPhone:
We are not going to ponder around too much. However, you should only consider resetting if you face one of these problems. If you are not having any of these scenarios, try to find an alternative. Resetting a phone should be the last resort.
1. Selling or Passing It Off
If you’re selling your iPhone 13 to someone else or giving it off to another person, you’d most likely have to reset the iPhone 13. It will make it a factory setting and open it for factory default setups and much more. It is a great way to make the phone feel like a new device for someone else, especially if you kept it in good condition.
2. Having Software Problems
Maybe your iPhone 13 isn’t working optimally and seems to be lagging. Perhaps some error is causing it to restart, or some apps aren’t working. You’ve tried to reinstall the app, clear cache, and everything else. However, nothing seems to solve the problem. If you’ve exhausted all options to fix any problem in the iPhone 13, resetting it might do the job.
3. Looking to Revert the Updates
Sometimes, the latest updates aren’t the best. They might come with an array of bugs, which is highly unlikely but still possible. Some iPhone 13 models might support the latest updates, but performance might take a hike. In these scenarios, people prefer to roll back to the older version. You can do it as well, especially if it is restricting anything specifically for you.
4. The Phone Got Stolen
If your phone got stolen and you can’t seem to find it, most of the security layers shall be able to provide you with appropriate options. However, erasing the data remotely to reset it might be a great option as well. Apple allows you to do that and even provides a message for anyone who finds the iPhone 13.
Frequently Asked Question:
1Q. Can You Transfer Data From iOS To Android?
Ans: The best option to transfer data from iOS to Android is by using the Google Drive method. By using Google account and Google Drive’s complete storage capacity, you can conveniently move from iOS To Android.
2Q. What’s the Best Method to Backup Contacts in iOS?
Ans: There are different methods available. iTunes, iCloud, Google Account, and Sim Cards are among the best options available. Primarily, you should rely on Sim Cards and Google ID to transfer or backup contacts conveniently.
3Q. Can You Factory Reset Any iPhone 13?
Ans: Yes. Factory reset is an option that exists for both iOS and Androids for a long time. Therefore, you can most likely reset almost any iPhone 13 device without any drawbacks.
4Q. Should You Use Third-Party Apps for Backup and Reset?
Ans: You can use third-party apps if they are authentic and premium apps, not some lesser-known option. You wouldn’t want to risk your data and much more by doing so.
5Q. Is There A Need to Reset the Phone If You Are Getting A New iPhone 13?
Ans: No. There’s no hard-imposed rule that would force you to reset the older phone. However, you might have to transfer the account and log out of it from the older one.
We’ve covered every known method available from the iPhone 13. Try not to use third-party apps for resetting the iPhone. There’s no point if the device comes with a built-in option. Try always to follow the step-by-step guide to ensure you retain your data and conduct a seamless factory reset.
There might be countless reasons for you to reset a phone. But as we mentioned some reasons, try to stick to them as your last resort. We hope that FAQs also provided you with some valuable insight. So, go ahead and reset your iPhone 13.