Are you struggling with your White Rodgers thermostat? Is there a sudden fluctuation in the temperature? Maybe it’s time to reset it. Stay with me and I will explain how the White Roger thermostat reset works.
White Rodgers has been a prominent name in the market for over 80 years. Owned by Emerson, a popular electric appliance corporation, the company is mainly known for its line of thermostats. As the culture of smart devices caught momentum, the White Rodgers thermostats have been the number 1 choice of people not only in the US but across the globe.
The thermostat helps you maintain a steady temperature in your house. The device can be installed on the wall and connect to your air-conditioning/heating system easily. You can also download the White-Rodgers connect application on your phone to smartly operate the thermostat.
But, sometimes, like all other electric devices, WR thermostats may encounter technical glitches. I myself have suffered dearly when my thermostat refused to bring the temperature down. After struggling for 30 minutes with it, I managed to reset it to its original settings.
So, if you are facing a similar issue, perhaps, your thermostat needs a factory reset too. In this article, I will talk about various reset methods for White Rodgers thermostats. I will also explain how to reset if you don’t know your thermostat’s model number.
Let’s begin right away.
Why is Your Thermostat not Working?
Here are some possible reasons why your White Rodgers thermostat is behaving oddly or not keeping the temperature:
- If you turned frequently turned on and off your thermostat, there is a chance that the delay mode is active on it. This usually happens during frequent power cuts or when there are fluctuations in voltage.
- Many times due to high voltage, the circuit breakers cut the power supply to HVAC. In this case, the thermostat lights up but it will not connect to your air conditioning system.
- Physical damage to the thermostat can also cause issues.
- Over time, the wiring systems at homes go through some wear & tear. A faulty wiring system can affect the thermostat in many ways. In this case, call an electrician and fix it immediately.
How to Reset White Rodgers Thermostat
If there is no physical damage to the thermostat and wiring, you should try to reset the thermostat. Here is what you need to do to reset your White Rodgers thermostat:
Find Your Model Number
Before we move further, it’s important to know the model number of your thermostat. White Rodgers has various thermostat lineups and they all have a different method for resetting.
If you have the original packaging/invoice available, you can check the model number from there.
Alternatively, you can also find the model name and number printed on the back of your thermostat. All you need to do is take out the thermostat from the wall mount carefully and pull the cover off. Make a note of the model number/name for future use, in case you need to talk to customer care.
1. White Rodgers Classic 80/70 Series
It’s one of the highest-selling thermostats by the company. Nearly 40% of the White Rodgers owners have this series of thermostats.
Take the following steps to reset the thermostat:
- Press and hold the up/down + Time buttons for 10-12 seconds.
- Hold the buttons until the screen turns blank and turns back on.
- Your thermostat will be reset to the default settings. Now you can program it based on your preferences.
The first method should work with every 80 and 70 series model. However, if you are unable to reset the thermostat, try the alternate method:
- Again, press and hold the Up/Down arrow button for a few seconds.
- Meanwhile, turn the Heat option on. Don’t let the up/down button go until you see the black display.
- Once the display is back on, you can reprogram your White Rodger thermostat.
2. Sensi Smart Thermostat
Sensi Smart Thermostat is another popular thermostat from Emerson, the parent company of White Rodger. It comes with built-in AI functionality. Apart from the controls on the thermostat, you can also control it through Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and Siri.
Let’s see how you can reset it to the original settings:
If your thermostat is showing wrong entries on the display, or the display is not responding to the button, simply take out the batteries for 2 minutes. This will reset all the controls and settings automatically. If you continue to face the problem, try a factory reset.
You can also schedule your reset through the system menu.
- Navigate to Schedule and turn it on.
- Modify the configuration settings. Follow the on-screen instruction to overwrite the previous settings.
- Click on Save to finish the process.
Emerson Blue Series 2
It’s one of the newer thermostat models from Emerson. There are several models in this series such as 1F80/82-0261, 1F89-0211, and 1F86EZ-0251.
Try the following methods to reset any model from Blue series 2:
- Press and hold up and down buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- While still holding the buttons, press the Prgm button until the display turns off.
- The thermostat will go back to its original settings.
- Enable heat, Cool, or Emer Mode.
- Press and hold up and down arrows at the same time.
- While holding the buttons, press the Time button until the display is gone.
After the screen lights up, give it a few seconds to reset and configure.
Emerson Thermostat Reset (80 series)
Take the following steps to reset the thermostat through buttons:
- Press and hold the menu and backlight button together for a few seconds.
- Once the display goes empty, release the buttons and wait for the thermostat to turn back on.
- Once the display is on, you can start reprogramming the thermostat. The reset is complete.
If the factory reset doesn’t work for you, try the hard reset.
- Carefully undo the thermostat from the wall.
- Remove the cover plate. Here is your chance to check the wiring cables. In case of any damage, you should contact the expert or Emerson care.
- Remove the batteries and insert them back after 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the thermostat on and configure it to the previous settings.